By extending the life of products, we indirectly contribute to a reduction in waste. This involves both manufacturers and consumers:
- Eco-design, facilitating repairs, taking into account technological developments …
- Maintenance, repair and recycling
The objective is therefore the following: to extend the service life of the products as much as possible. It is with this in mind that programmed obsolescence (product lifetime pre-determined by manufacturers) is punishable by law since 2015.
What is the lifespan of a product?
- Normative lifespan: average operating time
- Duration of use
- Total holding period: the total holding period by the various users
- Duration of existence: period of time between the end of product design and its destruction.